Student Profile: Collin Wimmler

Name: Collin Wimmler
Hometown: Waldo, WI
High School: Sheboygan Falls High
Class Size: About 125
Farm: Got my start in the dairy industry milking cows at Gary Lee Farms LLC
Major: Dairy Science

Why did you decide to attend UW-Madison?

I chose UW-Madison because I felt that it would be give me the opportunities I needed to prepare for vet school.

What has been your most memorable college experience?

My most memorable experience would be working as a student coordinator at the Dairy Cattle Center. From managing student employees and dealing with break downs, to calving cows in the middle of the night, I learned what all goes into keeping the cows on campus.

What has been your favorite course?

Reproductive Physiology. I enjoyed learning in depth about reproduction as well as working hands on with cows and sows to learn A.I. and ultrasound techniques. I was also very interested in this course because I hope to do embryo work in the future.

What are your future career goals?

I will be joining the class of 2020 at The UW-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine and my career goal is to become a food animal veterinarian with the hopes of one day buying into a practice. 

Where are you studying abroad and what will you mainly be focusing on during your time away?

I am currently studying at Wageningen University in the Netherlands where I am following courses on animal nutrition, the sustainability of animal production and genomics.

How are you utilizing your skills from Dairy Science during your time abroad?

In nutrition and genomics, I use a lot of the biological science, physiology and understanding of scientific writing that I have learned. In the class on sustainability of animal systems, I use more of my knowledge on dairy management and understanding the data and statistics in research papers.

What is your best memory so far of your time abroad?

My best memory is from my trip to Riga because it was a fun filled weekend in a beautiful city. The highlight of the trip was going bobsledding. We had a Latvian Olympic bobsledder as the driver and experienced 4G’s hitting speeds over 100km/hr!