Student Profile: Carlista Bosshard

Name: Carlista Bosshard

Hometown: La Crosse, WI

High School: Aquinas High School

Class Size: 85

Major: Dairy Science and Global Health

Why did you decide to attend UW-Madison?

After attending the University of Colorado my freshman year, I decided to transfer to UW-Madison because I knew I would have a more fulfilling experience pursing a degree in CALS and I would be able to enjoy numerous opportunities working with some of the best dairy science professors.

What has been your most memorable college experience?

My most memorable college experience so far has been traveling to Nicaragua last summer to fulfill my field study requirement for my Global Health Certificate. I was able to incorporate sustainable agricultural practices in local schools and communities and help promote water stewardship.

What has been your favorite course?

My favorite class at UW-Madison has been Dairy Science 101: Intro to Animal Science because it gave me such a wonderful hands-on experience I wasn’t able to get growing up in the city and not on a farm. It was after this course that I knew my passion was for agriculture and that I was in the right major.

What are your future career goals?

After I graduate in spring, I have not decided what path I will take, but I hope to use my degree to enhance the dairy industry somehow. I would like to try to work or do research involving reproduction and genetics.