Student Profile: Megan Opperman

Name: Megan Opperman

Hometown: Rockford, Illinois

High School: Rockford Lutheran High School

Class Size: 90

Farm: Erbacres Holsteins

Major: Dairy Science

Why did you decide to attend UW-Madison?

When selecting a college to attend I knew that UW-Madison would be the best place not only for my education but also for opportunities to do things outside of the classroom. One of my main factors in my decision was that UW-Madison offered a specific dairy science degree. I felt that UW-Madison had strong ties to the dairy industry as well as world re-known research facilities that would allow me to have the best education possible. Along with all of this when I visited the dairy science department people such as Kent Weigel made me feel welcome and wanted at this school.

What has been your most memorable college experience?

My most memorable college experience has been participating in Dairy Challenge. Having the opportunity to go out on farms and put to use all of the knowledge and skills we have obtained in the classroom is priceless. Also, it is a great opportunity to network with industry professionals who I will be potentially working with in the future.

What has been your favorite course?

My favorite course was Dairy Science 233/234 (Dairy Herd Management). These classes helped give more of an overarching level of knowledge in all aspects of managing a dairy as well as provided a lot of hands on time. I particularly liked when we had the opportunity to go out on farms and see how the things we learned about were put into practice.

What are your future career goals?

In the future I would like to either work as a herdsman on a large dairy or work in the AI industry. I want to use the educational knowledge and experiences I have gained to help farmers improve their practices and to help the dairy industry continue to improve and develop.