Student Profile: Rachel Hartlaub

Name: Rachel Hartlaub

Hometown: Cleveland, WI

High School: Howards Grove High School

Class Size: 90

Farm: 50 Registered Holsteins/Jerseys

Major: Dairy Science

Why did you decide to attend UW-Madison?

I wanted to attend UW-Madison because I knew the opportunities would be endless. Whether that would be receiving a top-notch education, making many connections throughout the industry, or making wonderful memories with friends, I knew UW-Madison would be the place for me.

What has been your most memorable college experience?

I really enjoyed my internship at PDPW because it pushed me out of my comfort zone professionally and I learned from a wonderful team. Working on a dairy farm in New Zealand is also a top experience for me, as I learned so much about the practices used there and gained independence personally.

What has been your favorite course?

.My favorite course was “Dairying in Mexico” taught by Michel Wattiaux. In this class we learn about the challenges that many countries face in agriculture and how they overcome them. Michel has done a great deal of international work, and I enjoy hearing about his adventures around the world.

What are your future career goals?

Right now I am working on applying for the PeaceCorps, hopefully working in an agricultural program in Africa or South America. I think this would be an amazing opportunity to use my prior knowledge and experiences to help people in underdeveloped countries. However, since the PeaceCorps is very competitive, I would be happy finding a career working in international agriculture or dairy herd management.